Blog Papi Time
Best and cheapest locations to be a digital nomad in 2023?
By Trev H. (Blog Papi) on August 28, 2023
The best and cheapest locations for digital nomads can vary based on individual preferences, but as of my last knowledge update in September 2021, here are some popular and affordable destinations that were often recommended for digital nomads. Keep in mind that conditions can change, so it’s a good idea to do some research closer to your intended travel time in 2023:
- Bali, Indonesia: Bali has long been a favorite among digital nomads for its affordable cost of living, vibrant culture, and beautiful landscapes. Ubud and Canggu are popular areas with coworking spaces and a thriving community.
- Chiang Mai, Thailand: Known for its low cost of living, Chiang Mai offers a variety of coworking spaces, a warm climate, and a welcoming atmosphere for digital nomads.
- Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam: With its bustling atmosphere, delicious cuisine, and reasonable prices, Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) has been attracting digital nomads looking for an affordable and dynamic experience.
- Lisbon, Portugal: Lisbon offers a blend of European charm, a relatively affordable cost of living compared to other Western European cities, and a growing community of digital nomads.
- Tbilisi, Georgia: Tbilisi provides an intriguing blend of history, culture, and affordability. The city has been gaining attention among digital nomads for its low costs and emerging tech scene.
- (Writer’s Choice) Medellín, Colombia: Medellín has transformed in recent years, becoming a popular destination for digital nomads due to its pleasant climate, affordable living costs, and a focus on innovation.
- Hanoi, Vietnam: The capital of Vietnam combines rich history with modern amenities. It’s known for its vibrant street food culture, affordable living, and emerging tech scene.
- Siem Reap, Cambodia: Siem Reap is famous for its proximity to the stunning Angkor Wat temples. It offers a low cost of living and a unique cultural experience.
- Ibague, Colombia: This charming city in Colombia has a low cost of living, beautiful architecture, and a growing number of coworking spaces, making it an attractive destination for digital nomads.
- Budapest, Hungary: Budapest offers a blend of history, art, and affordability. The city’s thermal baths, unique culture, and relatively low living costs make it appealing to digital nomads.
Remember that the suitability of a location as a digital nomad destination depends on factors such as cost of living, internet quality, safety, visa regulations, and personal preferences. Additionally, the situation can change over time, so it’s important to stay updated on the latest information before making any travel plans.
Why people love Medellin Colombia to work remotely
Medellín, Colombia has become a popular destination for remote workers and digital nomads for several reasons:
- Cost of Living: Medellín offers a relatively affordable cost of living compared to many Western countries and even some other popular digital nomad destinations. Accommodation, food, transportation, and entertainment can all be more budget-friendly in Medellín.
- Climate: Medellín boasts a pleasant climate often referred to as “eternal spring.” With temperatures that remain relatively consistent throughout the year, it provides a comfortable environment for work and leisure.
- Infrastructure: The city has invested significantly in improving its infrastructure, including high-speed internet connectivity. This is crucial for remote workers who rely on a stable and fast internet connection to work efficiently.
- Coworking Spaces: Medellín has a growing number of coworking spaces that cater to the needs of remote workers. These spaces provide a professional working environment, networking opportunities, and various amenities.
- Cultural Scene: The city has a rich cultural scene with museums, galleries, theaters, and live music venues. This cultural diversity can offer a refreshing break from work and contribute to a fulfilling lifestyle.
- Safety Improvements: While Medellín was once associated with higher levels of crime, significant improvements in safety have been made over the years. This has contributed to the city’s growing popularity among tourists and remote workers.
- Natural Beauty: Medellín is surrounded by beautiful landscapes, including mountains and parks. The opportunity for outdoor activities and weekend getaways is appealing to those who enjoy exploring nature.
- Local Hospitality: The people of Medellín, known as “Paisas,” are often described as warm, friendly, and welcoming. This sense of hospitality can make it easier for newcomers to integrate into the local community.
- Language: While it can be a challenge for some, the opportunity to immerse oneself in the Spanish language and culture can be appealing to those looking to learn or improve their language skills.
- Entrepreneurial Spirit: Medellín has been working to foster a culture of innovation and entrepreneurship. This can create an inspiring atmosphere for remote workers who are also involved in their own business ventures.
It’s important to note that the reasons people choose Medellín can vary based on individual preferences and priorities. Before making any decisions, it’s recommended to research the most up-to-date information about the city’s amenities, safety, visa regulations, and other factors that may impact your decision to work remotely there.